Friday, June 18, 2010

Zucchini Ricotta Frittata






I found this recipe on the SimplyRecipes website here and it interested me because I'm a frittata fan, and becauseI just planted zucchini and so I'll be needed lots of recipes that have zucchini in them soon! Ms. Elise cooked her frittata entirely in one pan--at first on the stove-top and then finishing under the broiler. My skillet won't safely go in the oven, so I just cooked it in a glass pie plate. Kate and I loved it. Sarah said it was too spicy (just her way of saying she didn't like it). And Kristen wouldn't even try it--wrinkling her nose at the sight of the zucchini. Silly girl. All the men were off on adventures so they couldn't give their opinion. My guess is they wouldn't have cared much about it, but would have been grateful for the calories and the change in menu. :) Here's what you need:

6 large eggs
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 Tbsp chopped fresh basil (if my basil plant doesn't survive, I'll just use dry)
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme (I used dry)
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 small zucchini, or one larger one, washed and sliced into thin rounds (about 3/4 pound)

(If you're gonna do it like I did, before you begin, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and butter a 9" glass pie plate.)

1. Beat the eggs in a medium bowl. Add the ricotta and Parmesan and beat to combine. (I tried using just a fork for this--get out the whisk. It works much better.) Add the salt, freshly ground black pepper, basil (the basil plant you see in the background of the picture was only a few cents more than the little box of fresh basil leaves in the produce department. I planted it right next to the zucchini plant. If it survives I'll use it all summer.) and thyme and beat to combine. Set aside.

2. Heat the olive oil in a 10-inch oven-proof stick-free skillet (just my regular skillet) on medium high. When the oil is hot and begins to shimmer (Sorry, I never did notice the "shimmer" thing--there's so much going on while I'm cooking dinner you gotta to do a lot more than shimmer to get my attention!), add the zucchini slices. Stir so that the zucchini slices are all coated with some of the oil. Cook, stirring only occasionally (if you stir too much the zucchini won't brown), until the zucchini slices are lightly browned, about 5-6 minutes. (Thanks, Mom! for the cool oversized spatula that made flipping those zucchini rounds easy peasy! My girls asked if you got it at Spatula City! Hah!) Remove from heat. Remove zucchini slices from the pan with tongs or a slotted spoon to a bowl. Let cool for 30 seconds or so, and then stir the zucchini slices to the egg mixture.

That's as far as I followed the directions. At this point, I poured everything into the buttered pie plate then put it in the oven for 35-40 minutes, or until it's golden on top. I sprinkled some more parma on top after I took it out of the oven. You'll want to let it sit for about 10 minutes before serving.

I think its delish--but like I said, I'm a frittata fan. This is the first time I'd used ricotta in a frittata (Ha! Say that again, ricotta frittata, ricotta frittata! Ha! 'sworth makin' just to say "I'm servin' you a ricotta frittata!"). Anyway, I thought it made everything rich and creamy and wonderful!

MM Recipe Card

2 comments:

  1. This sounds really good! I also don't have an oven safe fry pan, so I'll follow suit.
    I'm going to make my ricotta, too. :)
    I use raw goats milk to make kefir, but don't really enjoy the goat-y taste in savory things like this, so will have to go get some good whole milk from a dairy here.
    I love your blog, but don't get here near often enough!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that was so easy to publish! I tried posting a comment once or twice here, but used my google account name and it said it was from my own blog, which I never even go to myself anymore.
    I tend to make things harder than they are, so when I saw the option before, to comment as: name/url, I thought I needed a url, so didn't even try.
    So, now I know!
    Proof that you can teach an old 'lovely woman' (I refuse to refer to myself as a dog...) new tricks!

    ReplyDelete