Thursday, April 22, 2010

Peanut Butter Blossoms






I made these to take to the little girlies piano recital. It is a recital after all, so the extra time it takes to make these beauties are worth it. These are the cookies I would always ask Grandma Carlene to bring to school for my birthday (yes, at the end of the school year since I have an August birthday--and yes, kiddies, once people could bring homemade goodies to give out at school--let's hope someday sanity will again rule and your mom will be able to do it too). And, don't ask me why, I always liked pushing down the kisses after they had melted for awhile to make that cool little ring around the kiss! That one in the picture is kind of small, if you want a bigger one, wait a little longer to push the kiss down! :)



Peanut Butter Blossoms

1/2 cup shortening (I don't use shortening. I've made these successfully replacing this with butter, this time I used 1/4 cup lard and 1/4 cup butter. I was wondering if the lard would help with the light and flakiness of the cookie. I'm not sure it made a difference.)
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup sugar, plus more for rolling dough into
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
2 Tablespoon milk (Sometimes I find the batter to be crumbly and not roll into a ball easily. That was the case this time, so I added an additional Tablespoon of milk, and that fixed everything.)
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 1/2 cups flour
1 bag chocolate kisses

Mix first six ingredients. Add soda and flour. Roll into balls. Roll in sugar. Place on greased cookie sheet or parchment paper (I barely flatten them with a glass with the hopes they don't crack quite so much, but it's really not necessary.). Bake at 350 degrees, 10-12 minutes (I like 10 better than 12). Take from oven and immediately place (firmly) chocolate kiss on top. (Then, wait a minute and lightly press down on the kiss for a cute little ring in the chocolate!) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment