Monday, April 19, 2010

Ginger Molasses Cookies






My good friend Barbara asked me to post this recipe. It is a wonderful cookie. I found this recipe on the Food Network website. It was contributed by Chef Charles Dale of the Range Restaurant in Aspen Colorado. It also comes with a recipe for Roasted Banana Ice Cream and Chocolate Sauce to make a really gourmet cookie sandwich. I've never tried it though--roasting bananas scares me. :) The last time I made them, I toyed with the idea of putting a chocolate kiss on top (like Peanut Butter Blossoms). If anyone tries it, let me know what they think. (Update: I did! Check the bottom of the post for a picture! They are adorable!)



Ginger Molasses Cookies

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (fluff that flour before measuring!)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon powdered ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

7 ounces unsalted butter (that's 1 3/4 cubes)
3/4 cup granulated sugar

1/3 cup dark molasses
2 Tablespoons coffee (I've replaced this with water, but I prefer to leave it out--I think it makes a more tender cookie, and I suspect the coffee was added more as a complimentary flavor rather than to add moisture.)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Whisk together first six ingredients. In a separate bowl, using a mixer, cream butter and sugar. Add molasses and water (if using), mix well. Add dry ingredients, it will turn crumbly (if you're using a standing mixer, scrape down the bowl at this point), keep mixing and it will all come together. But be careful not to over mix. Form in 1-inch balls and place on greased cookie sheet (I like to use parchment paper). Flatten slightly. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment