Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Lemon Curd

This recipe is only slightly adapted from Michael Chiarello's Lemon Curd over Biscotti Crumbs with Fresh Berries.  Really, I only left out the rosemary.  So we will follow his fabulous directions (I tried a different and confusing recipe that ended up edible, but not like this incredible stuff), and I will add my comments.

      Ingredients

      1/3 cup sugar
      9 large egg yolks, room temperature
      2/3 cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice
      1 tablespoon grated lemon zest

      2 teaspoons rosemary leaves (*See Cook's Note) (I left this out.)
      8 tablespoons unsalted butter, in small pieces and at room temperature

      Directions

      Cook's Note about rosemary: time of year matters. If you use rosemary in the winter, use half as much because it's stronger - it grows slower and the taste is concentrated.

      In the top of a double boiler, whisk the sugar and the egg yolks until sugar has dissolved and mixture is pale yellow, then whisk in lemon juice and zest. Set the bowl over simmering water and whisk constantly until mixture reaches 145 degrees F; it will visibly thicken but don't let it get too hot or the eggs will curdle. (This can happen kind of quickly.  I used a candy thermometer to measure the temp as it warms.)  Remove the bowl from the heat and add the rosemary (or not) and butter a little at a time, whisking until each addition is incorporated and the curd becomes thick. Transfer to a bowl, cool and then refrigerate until well chilled.  (Serves 6.)

      This is heaven!  But what do you do with it?  You can make tarts, spread it on toast or English muffins (with an additional smear of raspberry jam is insanely wonderful), use it between the layers of a cake, anything you want!  We used it to make a trifle--okay, a layered dessert, because it's technically not a real English trifle (see what I have to put up with having a husband who's lived for a while in England?)!  It's sooooooooooooooooo good!

      You can see from the picture I made some lime curd as well.  It was fine.  But it doesn't, as they say, make my skirt fly up like the lemon curd does. :)

      3 comments:

      1. Your skirt fly up? What's that? You are a nut, but I love you. :) Mom

        ReplyDelete
      2. Oh that's a Pioneer Woman saying. I've added a link up there if you want to find out just how many times she uses the phrase! :) I had never heard it before, but now it comes to mind whenever delectable dishes cross my tongue.

        ReplyDelete
      3. I knew just what you were talking about! And that lemon curd sounds soooo yummy!

        ReplyDelete