Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Pasta Basics




Once upon a time, I was a novice cook (in many ways, I still am). I signed up to bring a cold pasta salad to a church event. The salad turned out fine, but I complained to my friend about how long it took for the pasta to cool before I could finish the salad. She furrowed her brow. She blinked, and blinked again. "Didn't you rinse it in cold water?" I furrowed my brow. I blinked, and blinked again. :) No, I stirred and stirred. When that didn't work I spread it out on a cookie sheet, turned it over and over. I put the cookie sheet in the fridge--all in an attempt to cool off the pasta so I could hurry and finish the salad. :)

So here are a few pointers when it comes to cooking pasta.

I'll take instructions from Martha Stewart, and give you my opinion on the matter.


Getting Started

For each pound of pasta, you need at least four quarts of water. (Really. If you don't use enough water, the pasta gets gummy.) Use a six-quart (or larger) pot so you have plenty of room for both and don't have to worry about the water boiling over. Add at least two tablespoons of coarse salt after the water comes to a boil. (No need to measure here, I usually just fill my palm.)

Preventing Sticking
Enough water and frequent stirring are the keys to keeping pasta from sticking. You do not need to add oil to the water (this actually prevents sauces from clinging to the pasta). (I agree.) After adding the pasta, keep the heat on high so the water returns to a boil as quickly as possible. (And stir, stir, stir! Especially straight pasta like spaghetti and vermicelli [we prefer vermicelli at our house--it's a little thinner than spaghetti]. I can't tell you how many of my first attempts at spaghetti resulted in sheathes of pasta instead of individual strands. Make sure nothing is sticking on the bottom too.) Always cook uncovered.

When It's Done
Pasta should be al dente (firm to the bite). If undercooked, it will have a chalky core and floury taste; if overcooked, it will be limp and soggy. Start tasting the pasta two or three minutes before the end of the suggested cooking time; pasta will continue to cook a bit after it's drained. (Whenever a recipe calls for pasta, use the instructions on the box. The author may be assuming you're using the brand found in her store which is actually only sold in Maine and cooks a little slower/faster than the box you're using. Also, if the pasta is going to be used in a dish that continues to cook [like a casserole], you'll need to undercook it a little. A good recipe will anticipate that, but if your final dish seems squishy, just cook the pasta less next time.)

Draining
Before draining the pasta, reserve one or two cups of the cooking water; the water contains starch from the pasta that will add body to sauces. (Bow Broccoli does that.)After pouring the pasta into a colander, shake it a few times but don't rinse it (unless you are making pasta salad). (There was no internet when I needed that information! :D)

Finishing Touch
Immediately toss the pasta with the sauce of your choice, adding some reserved pasta water as needed to enhance the consistency of your dish. (Now that there is for real cooks that tweak recipes with their mad intuition skills. Since we usually have kids at the table, and kids can be picky, and sometimes only want sauce on the side, if they want it at all, we usually toss the pasta in olive oil and have a big dish of freshly grated Parmesan cheese for them to sprinkle on their naked pasta.)

No comments:

Post a Comment