Monday, March 22, 2010

Fabulous Frosting with Truffles left over







The next chocolate gift was truffles. These are as easy to make as fudge, except you have the extra work of rolling each truffle. I just use my Fabulous Frosting recipe--I don't remember where I got the recipe originally. I think it's an amalgamation of a bunch of frosting recipes I have tried. Here it is:







Fabulous Frosting with Truffles Left Over!
1 c whipping cream
1/4 c honey
3 T butter
12 oz mini chocolate chips

(Okay, mini chocolate chips seem to melt completely, while the regular chips always seem to have tiny pieces of chocolate running through it--not that tiny pieces of chocolate running through it is bad! Seriously, I could say I meant to do it and everyone would think I was genius! So if you want everything totally smooth--which I usually want for frosting, use mini chocolate chips. But if you want my favorite flavor, use half 60 percent cacao Ghiradelli chocolate chips half Ghiradelli semisweet chocolate chips--and tell everyone you had to cook everything just right to have those delicious bits of chocolate running through it!)

In a small saucepan, whisk the cream, honey and butter together over low heat until the honey has dissolved and the butter has melted. Increase the heat to medium and bring the mixture to just below a boil. Remove from heat and add the chips. Stir until chips are melted and the frosting is smooth and beautiful! Let cool to frosting consistency.

I've also used the double boiler method and just thrown everything together until it melts completely. This is good for when you have distractions. :) Now for the truffles. I'll use instructions from Giada De Laurentiis' Balsamic Chocolate Truffles Recipe--which is also really goood:

Cool the chocolate in the refrigerator for 1 hour. Remove from the refrigerator and let sit at room temperature for 2 hours, until firm but moldable. (If you're impatient, you can roll them straight out of the fridge--they just won't be perfect little balls--which some say makes them look more like real truffles.)

Use a teaspoon to scoop out chocolate. Use your fingertips to shape into balls about the size of a cherry. Set the chocolate balls on a parchment-lined tray. Place the cocoa powder in a small shallow dish. Place 6 truffles at a time in the cocoa powder and roll the truffles around to coat, and return the coated truffles to the baking sheet. Continue with the remaining truffles. Place the truffles in a serving dish or airtight package. (I also like to use finely chopped nuts or Nilla Wafer crumbs.)

No comments:

Post a Comment